|What should I do if I smell gas?|
If possible you should firstly shut off the Gas mains valve at the meter.
DO NOT switch any lights or sockets on or off.
DO NOT smoke or light any naked flame.
Ventilate the premises by opening windows and doors.
Call the emergency gas number 0800 111 999
|What is Carbon Monoxide?|
Carbon Monoxide is the deadly gas given off by gas appliances when they don't have a sufficient supply of fresh air.
|Can I smell Carbon Monoxide gas?|
No, which is why carbon monoxide is so deadly. It cannot be seen or smelled or tasted.
How will I know if there is carbon monoxide present?
There are certain signs to look out for -
- stains or soot deposits from your appliance
- yellow or orange flames
- you start to feel unwell ( drowsiness and headaches are the initial symptoms )
|What can I do to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning?|
Have your appliances installed and serviced by experts. Only use CORGI registered installers and ensure boilers or gas fires are serviced at least once a year.
Ensure that all air vents are unblocked at all times.
Fit a carbon monoxide detector alarm.